Tuesday 25 November 2014

Walking all the Way



              One day I decided to walk all the way from Bangalore to Tumkur. I started exactly at noon. And someone I know in Tumkur decided to walk all the way to Bangalore from Tumkur and she started exactly at 2 p.m. on the same day.

             We met on the Bangalore- Tumkur road at five past four, and we both reached our destination at exactly the same time. At what time did we both arrive?

Answer: 
 
          The key to the solution is that with a little bit of pencil work, it will be found, while I can walk 5 miles, my friend who started from Tumkur can walk 7 miles. Let’s assume the distance between Bangalore and Tumkur is 24 miles, then the point of meeting would be 14 miles from Bangalore , and therefore , I walked 3 ³⁄₇ miles per hour while my friend walked 4 ⁴⁄₅ miles per hour, and we both arrived exactly at 7 P. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...