Wednesday 10 December 2014

Some Glutton!



I was lunching in a South India restaurant. The place was crowded. A man excused himself and sat at my table. 

He began to eat idlis one after the other. As soon as one plate was finished he ordered more. As I sat there discreetly watching him, somewhat stunned, after he finished the last idli he told the waiter that he did not want any more.

  He took a big gulp of water, looked at me, smiled and said ‘The last one I ate was the 100th idli in the last five days. Each day late 6 more than on the previous day. Can you tell me how many I ate yesterday?’

Answer: He ate 26 idlis on the fourth day.

Day                         No. Eaten
1st day                          ×
2nd day                   ×   +   6
3rd day                   ×   + 12
4th day                   ×   + 18
5th day                   ×   + 24

Total                   5 × +60 = 100;   × = 8; 8+18 = 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...