Saturday 13 December 2014

The case of the Missing Digit




          A friend of mine asked me to write down any multidigit number, But , he put a condition, the number should not end with a zero.

I put down the number 96452
Then he asked me to ad up the five digits and subtract the total from the original number,
I did and here is what I got:
96452 -26 = 96426

            He then asked me to cross out any one of the five digits and tell him the remaining numbers. I crossed out the 2 and told him the rest of the digits. I neither told him the original number nor what I had done with it. Yet ‘pop’ he told me the exact number I had crossed out.
 How do you explain it?

Answer:      very simple. All you have to do is to find the digit which added to the two you will get nearest divisible by 9.For example in 639, I crossed out the 3, and I told him the other two 6 and 9. All he had to do was add them and get 15. The nearest number divisible by 9 is 18. Therefore the missing number is 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...