Sunday 30 November 2014

Pigs and Ducks



           While driving through the countryside one day I saw a farmer tending his pigs and ducks in his yard. I was curious to know how many of each he had. I stopped the car and inquired. Leaning on the stile jovially, he replied, ‘I have altogether 60 eyes and 86 feet between them’. 

           I drove off trying to calculate in my mind the exact number of ducks and pigs he had.    

         What do you think is the answer?

Answer:  There were sixty eyes, so there must have been thirty animals. Now the question is what combination of four- legged pigs and two- legged ducks adding to thirty will give 86 feet. With some pencil work, we get the answer 13 pigs and 17 ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...