Tuesday 2 December 2014

On the See- Saw



              Some days back, walking through the park, I saw a little girl trying to play the see- saw all by herself. It takes two to see- saw, but here was a girl who was a girl who was ingenious enough to try and see- saw on her own.

              I saw her tying a number of bricks to one end of the plank to balance her weight at the other. 

              I curiously noted that she just balanced against sixteen bricks. When these were fixed to the short end of the plank and I also noticed that if she were to fix them to the long end of the plank, she only needed eleven as balance.

              I wondered what the girl’s weight. The brick, I could guess weighed equal to a three quarter brick and three quarter of a pound.

            Can you figure it out?  

Answer:    A brick weighed 3 Ibs. Therefore, 16 bricks weighed 48 Ibs and 11 bricks 33 Ibs. Multiplying 48 by 33 and taking the square root we get 39.79. The girl’s weight must have been about 39.79 Ibs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...