Monday 1 December 2014

Some luck!



            A society of farmers, who own farms in the vicinity of my home town Bangalore, planned oh holding a raffle and persuaded me to buy a ticket. The value of the ticket was Rs. 5. As I did not want to pay the entire amount myself, I asked my friend Radha to chip in with me, and offered to share with her in proportion the prize bounty – if there was going to be any. She paid Rs. 2 and I paid the rest.

          As luck would have it – Bingo! ... We won the first prize- a flock of 50 sheep! Good God! ... Neither of us knew what to do with the sheep… Where would we take them in the first place? Neither of us sells the sheep back to the farmers.

         As per our original understanding 20 of the sheep belonged to Radha and 30 were mine.

         However, I decided that we had won the prize because of our combined luck, and so we should divide its value equally.

          The sheep- 30 of mine and 20 of Radha’s – were sold, each at the same price, and I paid her Rs. 150 to make the sum equal.

        What was the value per sheep?

Answer: The value per sheep was Rs. 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...