Saturday 6 December 2014

The Bargain



           Sometimes one is mystified at the startling reductions some people make in their prices and wonders on what principle the reductions are based. To quote an example three years ago a friend offered me a used typewriter for Rs. 1024. A year later he offered me the same for Rs. 640 and last year he wanted Rs. 400 and now he is willing to sell it to me for Rs. 250. But I have decided to buy it when he reduces next time.

          If he does a consistent reduction, at what price will he offer the typewriter to me next?

Answer:    It is obvious that the seller of the typewriter follows the rule to reduce three- eighths of the price at every reduction, and, therefore, after the consistent reduction, the typewriter should be next offered for Rs. 156.25.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...