Friday 5 December 2014

Wine and water



            While I was talking to a chemist one day, he set me this interesting problem.

            ‘I decided to mix some wine spirits and water. I had two bottles containing 10 ounces of each. I poured just a quarter of an ounce of spirits into the water and shook them up. You can see clearly that the mixture was forty to one. Now I thought that I should have the same quantity of fluid in both the bottles, and so I poured back a quarter of an ounce of the mixture into the bottle containing spirits.

            Can you tell what proportion of spirits to water did the spirits of wine bottle then contain?

Answer:   The Mixture of spirits of wine and water is in the proportion of 40 to 1, just as in the other bottle it was in the proportion of 1 to 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...